8/4/09: Target – HLS Top Customers AstraZeneca & GlaxoSmithKline
THIS IS HUNTINGDON LIFE SCIENCES. 7 investigations have exposed such abuse
as HLS techs who push naso-gastric tubes into dogs’ lungs, drowning them in
toxic materials. A tech punches a screaming 4-month-old beagle in the face.
During a supposedly post-mortem dissection, a worker slices into the chest
of a convulsing monkey… Animals seen dangling from slings or cowering in
cages are left to seize, vomit and collapse with no vet care.
SCIENCE? “The best guess for the correlation of adverse reactions in man and
animal toxicity data is somewhere between 5% and 25%” Animal Toxicity
Studies: Their Relevance to Man, Lumley & Walker (eds) (Quay, 1989), 57-67
EMAIL BLOCKS: Sample letter follows. Full contact info at end of alert.
* TO SEND: COPY/PASTE EMAIL BLOCKS INTO BCC: LINE OF YOUR EMAIL
* TYPE YOUR OWN EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE TO: LINE
* COPY/PASTE SAMPLE LETTER INTO SAME EMAIL.
* Change some words, sign with your name/full address and send!
Andrew.Witty@gsk.com, Julian.Heslop@gsk.com, Moncef.Slaoui@gsk.com,
David.Pulman@gsk.com, Marc.Dunoyer@gsk.com, Chris.Viehbacher@gsk.com,
John.Clarke@gsk.com, Simon.M.Bicknell@gsk.com, Daniel.Phelan@gsk.com,
***KINSHIP CIRCLE CANNOT GUARANTEE ALL EMAILS WILL WORK***
During campaigns, recipients may change or disable their email addresses.
Emails from government, corporate, or institute websites may be incorrect.
GET A FORMATTED LETTER (WORD DOC): firstname.lastname@example.org
Easily modify letter. Copy/paste it into an email or print letter to fax or mail.
I am concerned about the welfare of animals used in the development of your
products. I understand that both AstraZeneca and GlaxoSmithKline severed
ties with Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) after an investigation exposed
routine animal abuse inside the research facility.
Your good faith in Huntingdon’s promise to “clean up its act” led you to
renew your contract. Sadly, abuse remains the norm at HLS. As recently as
2008, a published report about primate trafficking across South America and
Asia described wild-caught monkeys squashed in cages for 30-hour treks to
Huntingdon Life Sciences in Cambridgeshire.
Inside the primate unit, an undercover worker recorded animals in filthy
cages who “went crazy,” gnawing fingers and toes to the bone. One primate
was tube fed after self-inflicted wounds left her face in shreds. The
investigator counted 217 monkeys killed in just five studies for customers
such as GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca.
I respectfully ask you to re-join the global list of customers, suppliers
and financiers who dropped HLS after learning about the lab’s habitual
abuse, falsification of test data, sloppy protocol, and employee misconduct.
Evidence from seven investigations over 12 years has exposed Huntingdon for
multiple breaches of the U.S. Animal Welfare Act, the arrest of workers on
animal cruelty charges, more than 520 infringements of Good Laboratory
Practice in England, and a $50,000 payoff to the U.S. Agriculture Department
for misstated records and animal welfare violations.
In 2005, two former HLS workers testified that animals were insufficiently
anesthetized before invasive procedures, such as extraction of bone marrow
from the chest bone. Workers transferred blood into the wrong tubes. One
“would go in and out about five times with the same needle, not hitting the
vein,” the past employee maintained. “I saw co-workers grab [dogs] by the
scruff, shout and swear at them, swing them by the scruff and slap them.”
Many labs now meet testing criterion with non-animal methods that yield data
more relevant to human health and safety. HLS, on the other hand, abuses
animals for invalid and redundant experiments.
I urge you to permanently terminate all business with Huntingdon Life
Sciences. Thank you for your valuable time and consideration.
FULL CONTACT INFORMATION. Sample letter follows.
CONTACT INFORMATION FROM: email@example.com
– David Brennan, Chief Executive Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Simon Lowth, Chief Financial Officer: email@example.com
– Tony Zook, Executive Vice President North America: tony.zook@AstraZeneca.com
– Bruno Angelici, Executive Vice President, Europe and ROW: bruno.angelici@AstraZeneca.com
– David Smith, Executive Vice-President, Operations: david.smith@AstraZeneca.com
– Jan Lundberg, Executive Vice-President Discovery Research: jan.lundberg@AstraZeneca.com
– Lynn Tetrault, Executive Vice-President Human Resources: lynn.tetrault@AstraZeneca.com
– Senior Non-Executive Director: peter.bonfield@AstraZeneca.com
ASTRAZENECA WORLDWIDE LOCATIONS-ADDRESSES
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP (U.S. Headquarters)
P.O. Box 15437; Wilmington, DE 19850-5437
ph: +1 302 886 3000, +1 302 886 2972
– Andrew Witty, CEO, Board of Directors: Andrew.Witty@gsk.com
– Julian Heslop, Chief Financial Officer, Board of Directors: Julian.Heslop@gsk.com
– Moncef Slaoui, Chairman of Research & Development, Board of Directors: Moncef.Slaoui@gsk.com
– David Pulman, President of Global Manufacturing and Supply: David.Pulman@gsk.com
– Marc Dunoyer, President of Asia Pacific/Japan: Marc.Dunoyer@gsk.com
– President of North American Pharmaceuticals, Board of Directors: Chris.Viehbacher@gsk.com
– John Clarke, President of Consumer Healthcare: John.Clarke@gsk.com
– Simon Bicknell, SVP, Company Secretary & Compliance Officer: Simon.M.Bicknell@gsk.com
– Dan Phelan, Chief of Staff: Daniel.Phelan@gsk.com
– Claire Thomas, SVP, Human Resources: Claire.x.Thomas@gsk.com
GSK WORLDWIDE LOCATIONS/ADDRESSES:
GlaxoSmithKline U.S. Corporate Headquarters
5 Moore Drive; Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
US corporate switchboard: +1 888-825-5249
US Customer Response Center: +1 888-825-5249
Glaxo Wellcome UK Ltd.
Stockley Park West, Uxbridge; Middlesex, UB11 1BT
ph: 020 8990 9000, 0800 221441
fax: 020 8990 4321, 020 8990 4328
SOURCE OF INFORMATION / REFERENCE LINKS
HLS Top Targets
ADI report and 2008 video footage shot inside HLS
Save The Primates, Documentary from ADI and NAVS
HUNTINGDON LIFE SCIENCES EXPOSED
All Global HLS Targets
Help Us Print/Distribute Our Educational Literature
DONATE NOW: http://www.kinshipcircle.org/donation
LEFT – http://www.kinshipcircle.org/store/#books
RIGHT – http://www.kinshipcircle.org/fact_sheets/WhoIsHuntingdonLifeScienc.pdf
ACTION CAMPAIGNS * EDUCATION * ANIMAL DISASTER AID NETWORK
http://www.KinshipCircle.org * http://www.kinshipcircle.org/disasters
SUBSCRIBE NOW – FOR BREAKING NEWS & ACTION:
Kinship Circle Primary: firstname.lastname@example.org
Action campaigns on animal cruelty issues worldwide
Kinship Circle Animal Disaster Aid Network: email@example.com
Animal rescue coordination/news in disasters + companion animal alerts
*DISCLAIMER: The information in these alerts is verified with the original
source. Kinship Circle does not assume responsibility for the accuracy of
the information or for the consequences of its use. Nothing in this email is
intended to encourage illegal action in whatever country you are reading it
in. Kinship Circle does not engage in, nor support, any form of harassment
or unlawful activity. Nothing in this alert serves to promote such conduct.